Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Koh Samet

   Early Friday morning we woke up and left for the beautiful island of Koh Samet. We took a mini van over which had a nice built in t.v. It would have been a lot nicer if we hadn't been watching a mash up of 80s/90s love song music videos. In fact at this point I am pretty sure that song "Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be riiiight here waiting for you" is Thailand's second national anthem. Not only have I heard it here more than I did in America, I am also pretty sure that I have heard it more than I hear the national anthem. I don't know if I have mentioned this but they broadcast the national anthem on the loud speakers at 8 am, 6 pm, and every movie theater. Anyways yea 90s love songs are big here, moving forward. 

Laughing gas, never try, never know....
for clarification I still don't know.

 After the van ride we got on a speed boat (which was super fun) to get to the island. Where we stayed in these really cute bungalows right near the ocean. That night we had a traditional Thai dinner complete with pillow cushions on the floor and a fire show. It was really cool but I can't imagine how they do it. They were amazing! It's a good thing Thailand hasn't gotten around to starting a winterguard, we definitely wouldn't have won worlds against these beasts!
Fire show, that kid on the right was about 6

Koh Samet at Sunset

       The next day we woke up early to watch the sunrise and go swimming before everybody else was out and about. After that we hopped on a speed boat which took us to go snorkeling in the top three coral reefs in the area. I had never seen coral reefs, so many kinds of tropical fish, or been snorkeling before. It was a lot for one morning, the perfect amount of a lot though. The coral reefs were so cool but I could tell that some of them had seen better days. Global warming strikes again. All in all it was just the relaxing weekend that I needed! There were even Thai people playing ping pong on the beach. I thought it was an interesting contrast to the traditional American football on the beach. In all reality ping pong is a lot more challenging on a breezy beach than football. Maybe the Thai guys are more masculine...

Beautiful Koh Samet
Watching the sunrise on the rocks of the ocean.

These kids were making interesting sand castles on their dad.



Men like this walk around the beach selling lots of food and yummy coconuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment