Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fruit and Magnum Bars


      I would just like to start off by saying that I had the most amazing pineapple today. It was lovely and I don't think I will ever be able to eat America pineapple again. People always say how fruit tastes completely different in tropical countries...and it really does. I can already tell giving up young coconuts, perfect watermelon, and Thai pineapple is going to be tough. Anyways now that I got that out of my system, today in Developmental Psychology 2 we were talking about how many Thai men have mia nois or minor wives. This would be a second, third, or fourth wife taken on while they are still married to their first wife. Although they are not legally married (since it is illegal) they are still financially responsible for them and start families together. Relatively recently the government expressed concern about the presence of this practice within Thai parliament. Some members thought that officials should not have minor wives because it sets a bad example for the country. However this concern came to no consequence since literally every member of parliament had a mia noi. Even the crowned prince has several mia nois, although it is frowned upon it is socially accepted. If a husband wants a mia noi there really isn't much the wife can do to stop it. For example the man who is neighbors with my professor recently took a mia noi in a provence far away. He is no longer with his previous wife and daughter (who is 14). The wife is never home because she is off spending as much of her husbands money as possible. That leaves the daughter without any parental supervision. As a result she has latched onto my professor and his wife as sort of surrogate parents. I think its pretty said and speaks a lot to the progress that needs to be made as far as gender equality is concerned. We need to move into the modern era of women having little husbands! Haha that would be pretty cute if they were actually miniature. No really though isn't one spouse enough guys?

      After dinner today I really wanted some chocolate. So I stopped by the 7/11 and got a chocolate truffle magnum ice cream bar. I don't think that magnum is very popular in America but it is legit. Anyways I was just walking down the street back to the apartment, minding my own business, and eating my ice cream  when Shannon pointed out to me that the Thai people were staring a lot more than usual. I was suddenly very self-concious of my ice cream licking technique, but in 95 degree weather waiting until you get home to enjoy it isn't really an option. Sooo I kept eating it. Looking back I do remember seeing a few very sexual ice cream bar commercials while here. I tried to find a link of this particular one to reference...but it wasn't on youtube. Its okay though I'm sure my description is better. There is this shirtless guy tied to a chair and blindfolded. There is also a girl in a slinky dress with a magnum ice cream bar. She is being all weird and eating the ice cream very sexually. Then she like rubs it on him and licks it off and they end up making out. There is this weird bow chick wow wow music playing in the background too. Anyways it is pretty raunchy and I've seen it at least 5 times (as you can tell from my vivid description) during my limited exposure to Thai television. I'm pretty sure that sort of thing wouldn't fly in America. Now that I think of it I've never seen a Thai person eat ice cream in public. Opppps. Oh well at least I learned something new. If this  whole college thing doesn't pan out I'm pretty sure I could make a solid living standing on the street in Thailand and charging people 10 baht to watch me eat ice cream. They would have to provide the ice cream too. Just because I like free ice cream. Except not really because that would be profiting from the objectification of women which is bad.
Also they have lobster hot plate Lays potato chips here.






No comments:

Post a Comment