Friday, January 25, 2013

Arts of the Kingdom

Here is a picture of a smaller monitor lizard that Sean and I found walking back from the hospital. I realize that they might seem boring to you guys but I thought that this was a nice shot of the path as well. I think it is really fascinating the way they move just like snakes that are assisted by legs, curving their body from side to side to move forward. Just like miniature dinosaurs. A Thai student told me that sometimes when the construction workers on campus find them they catch the lizards and eat them. This made me sad because they seem like such peaceful creatures, although I suppose that there are enough of them to go around.


On Friday I went to the arts of the kingdom exhibit with my Thai language and culture class. Here is a picture of the outside of the palace that the exhibit was inside.



It was filled with golden thrones, amazing carvings, and beautiful silk embroidery. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any pictures inside (I wasn't even supposed to take this one). Usually I would have snuck a few more for you guys but we had to check our bags and were searched before we were able to enter. The silk embroidery was my favorite, a lot of the scenes depicted focused on nature. There were many Lillys, chickens, and mythical underwater displays. This trip definitely gave me a new appreciation for the intricate skill that embroidery requires!

     While at the hospital today I found myself in a somewhat awkward situation. These are pretty frequent occurrences in my life, so many times I don't even notice that it is an awkward moment until somebody else says something. This however was obviously awkward. I had just come back from the bathroom and a bunch of the therapists were sitting around talking. I approached them and one of the guys made a comment about me in Thai to the others. That same comment went around the whole circle until most of them were giggling at me. I asked them what it was, scared I had my skirt tucked into my underwear or toilet paper was on my shoe. Finally one of the therapists told me to come with her. I followed her tugging nervously on my clothes to make sure all the important parts were covered. Once far enough from the group she told me that the male therapist had said that when he saw me he felt no longer tired because I was just so refreshing to look at. I just kind of nodded awkwardly and looked down at my hands. She followed my gaze and noticed a ring on my left ring finger. Married? She asked gesturing to the offending ring. In a moment of slight panic combined with deep desire to leave the conversation about my refreshments I nodded. We then returned to the group where they immediately asked what she had told me. In another moment of panic I responded with that her hair is pretty. Later on they invited Sean and I to a new years party. They took us to this amazing Thai restaurant where we got to try the best food we had ate thus far in Thailand. The staff were so incredibly friendly! There was lots of karaoke (mostly in Thai) and dancing!  So yea that was my evening, I hope that yours is going well!

2 comments:

  1. It is so awkward to tell people you're married when you're not. Joanna and I had to do it all the time in Ghana!

    I love that you just said, "Your hair is pretty." ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww haha yea it definitely wasn't my finest moment.

      Delete