Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hamburger Crisis

     Today in Southeast Asian Women we were talking about global financial issues. In 1997 Thailand had a financial crisis which they called the tom yum goong (a staple thai soup) crisis. When America had its own financial crisis in 2008 (that is still going on as I am sure you know) they dubbed it the hamburger crisis. I thought this was pretty funny.
    I am in the middle of solidifying my internship at the Golden Jubilee hospital. While there I will be working within the Neurologic Rehabilitation Center helping patients with their exercises and whatnot. I'm super excited about it :)
   I have also noticed that although Thailand is a very humid tropical climate that is perfect for frogs I haven't seen any frogs since I got here. There are rivers and creeks going all through campus yet not a single frog. I think that it is because of the pollution :(
   Also all freshman students have to wear bow ties with their uniforms (including girls) and I think that it is hillarious!
 

Thai version of "The Last Lecture"
   Oh and one other thing. If you are ever traveling abroad and want to watch a dvd so you think, "Hey I'll just buy one at a local mall to play on my laptop," think again. It turns out most dvd drives are regional (to help prevent pirating). I was switching back and forth between season two of "How I Met Your Mother" and a workout video that I brought from home, and now my dvd region code is locked on America. It turns out there is a lifetime limit of five times that you can change it back and forth before it is locked for good. Silly Hollywood and their deals, poor unfinished season two, alright I'm almost over it now. I hope that everybody is having a pleasant day!

3 comments: