Saturday, January 19, 2013

China Town

     I know that you guys love to see the differences between fast food chains here, so I decided to start this post with a picture of the specialty ham and egg pie at McDonalds.

Ham and egg pie from McDondalds

      Friday morning I went to the hospital to work with the neurologic rehabilitation patients. I was working with a little three year old girl who was being rather squirmy and uncooperative. The physical therapist told her something in Thai that I didn't understand and soon she was following my every move giggling and doing her exercises exactly as I showed. It turns out that the physical therapist had told her  I was a real life Barbie doll that she could play with. I was a little confused but at least it worked. On the way back to the apartment from the hospital I saw this guy cruising around.

This man was riding his bike through the university with one hand
 so that he could hold his sun umbrella with the other.
        On the way back to the apartment I ran into my friends Quin, Keshauna, and Sean. After a quick conversation we decided to go check out Chinatown. It was pretty chaotic, but an overall cool scene. There were motorcycles and cars zipping through every side street and sidewalk.


Sunset over the river in Bangkok
     
Welcome to Chinatown

A flying squirrel that we found while visiting Chinatown 
     After awhile we decided to take the river taxi to Khao san road and check it out. Some of our other friends wanted us to meet them at a robot restaurant (where robots serve you). While we didn't end up making it to the robot restaurant we had a lot of fun looking around.
Khao san road
Scorpions to eat on Khao san road



The name of a bar on Khao san road, it reads "cocktails very strong we don't check ID cards restaurant"

   














    After meeting up with the others we decided to go to this sky bar. However, our taxi driver thought we should go somewhere else and took us to this random club really far away from the place we had in mind. A lot of taxi drivers get commissions from certain clubs if they take you there, sooo they take you to those clubs instead of where you want to go. A series of events made it very clear that this is what happened in our situation. A fierce group such as ourselves was not to be deterred from our sky bar that easily though. So we decided to try to walk there (or anywhere besides the sketchville we had arrived at really) and about 45 mins later we luckily stumbled upon it. Here are a few pictures from it!
The beautiful city of Bangkok
The view from the top of the sky bar.
       Beautiful huh? Alright well that was my adventure for the day. Thanks everybody for checking out my blog. I have noticed that there are a lot of viewers from different nations (especially Thailand). If you guys have any advice on places to go or things to do while I'm here please shoot it my way! I hope everybody is having a splendid day!

It makes me sad when this happens :(

3 comments:

  1. Ok so sometime before you leave you have to go to the robot restaurant because I wont truley be happy until I live bicouriously through you and understand this concept better. Is it like robocop except in waiter form? This might be the coolest thing I've ever heard lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very brave of you to come out on Amanda's blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha okay I will do my best to make this a reality for us :)

    ReplyDelete