Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Muay Thai

     Today Tierra, Sean, and I decided to go find a Muay Thai club after classes were finished. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Muay Thai it is pretty much like boxing except more brutal, it is also Thailand's national sport. So we thought that it would be a cool thing to check out. Two hours of walking later we found a world renowned Muay Thai club! Apparently people come from all over the world to train there! Unfortunately they were all napping between training sessions by the time that we got there and they asked us to come back in an hour and a half. On the way there we ran into this really nice young italian couple! They used their house as an art exhibit/italian eatery. It is always a great feeling to run into another foreigner, especially when they speak English! They said that we should come back next week when they are having a party complete with a bunch of performances, food, and live music. Maybe if we can figure out how we got there the first time we will give it a shot!
     I have also recently received my official Thai nickname. This is a big deal in Thailand because once you are considered more than acquaintances with somebody it is improper to use their full name. Thai people are given their nickname by their parents at birth so it kind of makes sense that I got mine at the hospital. After all this build up I feel kind of bad telling you guys that my nickname isn't anything foreign or exciting, it's Rose, but hey it is what they picked. There is a physical therapist who's name is Jack and everybody got a good laugh out of posing us in scenes from the Titanic and attempting to sing the words to my heart will go on.
    While at the hospital a woman stopped me to inform me that I looked like Taylor Swift. I'm not sure how much I agree with that. Between Taylor Swift and the Kristen Stewart reference earlier I am starting to think that maybe they really do think all white people look alike. I have also discovered their Michael Buble, his name is Yannick Bovy and this is a clip of one of his music videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wfymwYFHuE
Yannick Bovy
As long as we are on the subject of pop culture I also took it upon myself to introduce my developmental psychology professor to Modern Family. He is now quite a fan and said that he was going to use a clip of it to start our next lesson. I haven't been able to watch it since I got here so hopefully this will be enough to act as a fix. This weekend I am going to be in Chiang Mai (a province of northern Thailand) for four days! I am super excited and can't wait to tell you guys all about!
I hope everybody is having a bananatastic day!


1 comment: