Thursday, January 17, 2013

Club Expo


      Today in my Tropical Medicine class we were talking about Japanese Encephalitis. We learned that it has a 30% fatality rate, 30% paralysis rate, and that it was fairly common in Thailand. After about five minutes of these facts myself and the 2 other Americans in the room began to question the doctors in America who told us that we didn't need the vaccine. Our professor (who is also a pediatric toxicologist) kindly suggested that we go to the hospital and get vaccinated. Which is what I plan to do tomorrow. 

    Ahh I just found P.S I Love You on youtube! The internet is actually working at a reasonable speed so it is loading! I love this movie. Plus by passing up Dear John (which I found first) I am still following John's no Nicholas Sparks while abroad rule. He is somehow under the impression that it makes me emotional I'm not really sure why.
    Speaking of John, I would like to take a moment for all of you croc wearing/supporting kids. You have a following here in Thailand. It is truly the land of your people. Seriously though my professor was wearing metallic crocs with those little widget things in it today, and it was totally normal. 

  While taking classes here I have noticed that everything is very American centered. All the statistics, studies, and historical references have to do with America. It's like this back home too, but I thought America was just self-centered. However our teachers said that this is how most classes are around the world. Yesterday we had the Club Expo at MUIC. It was complete with free homemade coconut Thai ice-cream, sandwiches, and a boy band playing rolling in the deep. It was really cool to see all the different student groups and I think that I might join the  volunteer club. I know it sounds kinda lame but they actually do a lot of cool stuff. I hope that everybody is having a sensational day!
The poster for the club expo showing all the clubs.


The cute Muay Thai mascot

No comments:

Post a Comment