Monday, January 14, 2013

Siam

    Last weekend Shannon, Rebecca and I went to Bangkok to take pictures  for Rebecca's ecology class. After a little bit we wandered into Siam and found a giant aquarium (which of course we went to). It was called Siam Ocean World, and is apparently the largest aquarium in Southeast Asia. While in Siam we also found a McDonalds that served bubble tea!



waing with Ronald McDonald :)





bubble tea at McDonalds aka McBubble Drink :)


Here are some of my favorite pictures from the aquarium. I realize that all the cuteness that I experienced could not be captured in these photos, but you will just have to use your imagination.



Octopus :)





Otters chilling at the aquarium.

This little guy was trying VERY hard to get the water from the tank next to his into his own tank.
See you can see his flipper on the other side of the glass.







Creepy giant spider crab





stare down









































      After the aquarium we explored some of Siam's shops before finding a movie theater that showed English movies. Shannon and Rebecca had seen The Hobbit yet so we decided to see it in IMAX 3D. Now I realize that this all sounds like a very American day, but you have to understand how happy it was to see something as familiar as a modern mall (within which all of these activities took place). The part of Bangkok we had been in before finding Siam was hectic, smelly, and a little scary. While Thailand is amazing we were all starting to feel a little isolated from the things we were accustomed to enjoying in America. This day was the perfect fix for our western cravings while still throwing in some Thai flare to enhance the experience. For example The Hobbit had Thai subtitles, and before it started the King's anthem played and everybody had to stand up as a way of showing respect.



The lobby of the movie theater where we saw The Hobbit.





All of the ticket girls were wearing these little fancy yellow dresses and heels.

While at the movie theater a lady approached me and very excitedly told me that I "looked like the star from Twilight." I wasn't exactly sure how to take that so I just smiled and said thank you. I guess now I know how asian women feel who are constantly being compared to Lucy Lui! I hope that all of you are having a nice day and eat lots of yummy food (especially dark chocolate and peanut butter) for me!




5 comments:

  1. As hard of a task that it was I managed to have some dark chocolate(godiva wafers in my desk at work) dipped in peanut butter just for you! Oh and then I had a brownie after dinner well yea and a chocolate from a box your father gave me(Feffero Rocher-those big rounds chocolates covered in havelnut pieces with a smooth yumminess in the middle. I hope this makes you feel better. Love you, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you know that I always appreciate your support :)

      Delete
  2. Ok I give....What on earth is bubble tea and where can I find some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a sweet milky tea with these firmish jelly bubbles in it that you drink with a giant straw. It is really yummy....I'm not sure where you could find it at emory though.

      Delete